Notifications
Clear all

What prevents you from exploring Aleister Crowley’s Thoth Tarot Deck?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Admin
Topic starter  

There has been much discussion, at times utter nonsense written about Aleister Crowley’s Thoth tarot deck. Some claim that the deck is evil, points to darker forces, even satanic in nature. Like so many areas of life, what we don’t understand, we are doomed to be controlled by. Inevitably, we begin to open a dark canyon within ourselves and fill that cesspit with all our horrors trapped behind our ignorance and misunderstandings.

If you’re new to tarot, or perhaps worked with another system, but fear the Thoth deck. I’d like to hear from you.

What prevents you from exploring Aleister Crowley’s Thoth Tarot Deck?

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” - Plato

I had a thoth deck for a number of years, I eventually replaced it as , although I liked it's clarity of meaning I found it a bit "heavy" . I also moved away from Crowley and regardie and found more inspiration in the Rider Waite tarot. I also found W G Gray, R J Stewart and Gareth Knight more approachable. I also prefer the pagan tone of the Merlin Tarot over Crowley's. I find WG Grays ordering of Tarot trumps on the TOL much more understandable and easier to defend than the published Golden Dawn attributions and there is some evidence to suggest that the published GD attributions are an intentional "blind" used to provoke thought in the would be initiate. 

ReplyQuote
Eminent Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Dylan, thank you for sharing your insightful thoughts and personal experiences. I hear your concerns about Crowley and Regardie, two undeniably polarizing figures.

Crowley's tendency to flaunt knowledge and shroud teachings in mystery is a hallmark of many occult traditions, but it can be a barrier for some. The Rider-Waite and Thoth decks are both magical and mystical in their own right, and nuanced understanding of the occult transcends cultural biases.

Keep exploring, Dylan! Your willingness to voice your preferences shows strength, self-awareness and a connection to your needs and calling. The Merlin Tarot resonates with you for a reason. I find the Thoth invaluable for personal practice, magick, and deeper study. For clients, I preferer more pictorial decks, helps to illustrate points, storytelling, etc.

The Golden Dawn's legacy is indeed controversial, but its teachings have enriched many, myself included. Over time, my focus has shifted from interpreting others' ideas to forging my own path with personal insights. As much as I admire Crowley's work, I wouldn't blindly follow it. Like with art or music, inspiration doesn't necessitate imitation.

The Thoth is a fascinating lens through which to view the Western occult traditions, just as Mozart built upon the works of others. Borrowing and reinterpretation are part of any esoteric practice. Crowley, with his privileged background and brilliant mind, certainly did both.

Love him or hate him, his contribution to tarot is undeniable. This controversial Brit, despite all the drama, remains as popular as ever. Your thoughtful comment is a testament to that, Dylan. Keep doing you, for there's no one more important! Kind Regards.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected, © 2024 David Cunliffe, all rights reserved.
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience